10 Easy Ways to Honor Earth Day
Each year on April 22, we celebrate and honor Planet Earth. As difficult as following a greener, more sustainable life may seem, here are a few easy-to-follow tips that may help you slowly incorporate a greener lifestyle for a better tomorrow and celebrate earth day.
1. Bring your own reusable bags to the supermarket - This step is simple yet overlooked. Grocery bags have extremely short utility periods. One reusable bag can reduce your plastic footprint by a significant amount.
2. Ditch single-use food storage containers - Finding alternatives for single use containers helps to reduce your impact on the environment. MyGo Containers™ promote sustainability without sacrifices and are a great alternative for Styrofoam to go containers.
3. Use reusable water bottles - Rather than purchasing plastic water bottles, consider using a reusable water bottle and drinking filtered tap water.
4. Conserve energy - From turning off lights when not in use, to using a programmable thermostat, to changing your air filter regularly, there are many small things you can do to save energy and reduce greenhouse gas emissions, while saving money on your utility bills.
5. Leave your car at home - If you are commuting to work or running errands, opt to walk, ride a bike, carpool, or take public transportation, even a few times a month. You will save money, help the environment, and get more exercise.
6. Plant a Garden – It has never been easier to grow your own veggies! Developing a green thumb can save you money and reduce food waste. Even something as simple as an herb garden on your windowsill is a great start.
7. Add Plants to Your Home - Plants are not only for home décor purposes, but they can also help regulate the temperature through the moisture they release into the air. Helping reduce the energy required to heat and cool your home.
8. Make your next meal plant-based - Eating a plant-based diet is one of the easiest ways to have a positive impact on the environment. But it is not a lifestyle suited for everyone, instead opt in for small changes in your diet. Implement fun practices like “Meatless Mondays” or “Veggiedays” where your meals are more sustainable for your health and the earth.
9. Join an Earth Day event near you - Whether you want to join virtually or in-person, there are tons of earth day events available at earthday.org
10. Continue to contribute after Earth Day – Keep making small changes to your lifestyle beyond earth day, the changes you implement will soon become habits, having a greater impact to the environment.
Remember that every action is important no matter how small it might seem. Use these tips to spark your own ideas and passion for environmentalism, so you can live every day like it is Earth Day and be part of the change.